 |
| Blockbusting ©2016 Maya Renée |
I'm working on completely redesigning my portfolio site. I've been working on it for far too long it sometimes seems. It's funny how self promotion can be such a difficult concept. Having been raised as a female in a family, culture, and religion that taught me to be quiet and not be heard, it can be quite frightening to promote myself. And it's a little ironic, that sixteen years ago I was quite comfortable putting my art, poetry, and deepest thoughts online for anyone to see without a second thought. But somehow building a site that truly represents who I am as a professional seems incredibly terrifying. It's as if the often missattributed quote "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, it's that we are powerful beyond measure" is actually true. And to some extent, I think my research has shown to me that it is. Change and growth are scary for us, especially as we age. It requires building completely new neural pathways. Apparently self promotion is a new neural pathway for me. So no matter how long it takes, I'm going to keep at it. Because that is the real secret of change - determination. It takes repetition to make new neural pathways.
No comments:
Post a Comment