 |
| Kali ©2014 Maya Renée |
Have you ever been hit over the head with ideas? The past few days have been like that. I decided I needed some Kali in my life and sat down to make a piece for her. It was a fascinating process to observe. Although I never have a specific plan in mind (consciously), it became very clear in the creation of this piece that there is a plan. Usually, my creation process involves a lot of play: adding and discarding of various textures at random until I achieve something I like. This was not the case when creating
Kali. I immediately knew (most of the time) which image to use and also knew immediately when that part of the process was done. Suddenly the image would look perfect and I would
know that it was time to move on to the next part of the process. Usually that knowing involved goosebumps. There were a couple of hangup moments in which I lost that guidance momentarily - so I walked away and came back later. As a result,
Kali was assembled and finished in less than 10 hours total. Which is amazing when I consider that my first,
Black Tara, took an entire week's worth of effort (spread throughout class and home studio time). Also, usually completion of a piece leaves me with a feeling best akin to postpartum depression - madly in love with my creation, yet filled with a sudden sense of loss and longing and lack of direction. This time, however, I find myself galvanized to continue doing things - one of which is this blog. I feel compelled to publish, to speak, to write, to open up and expand. And this is perfect!
As I was working on this piece I listened to chants and songs of praise to Kali, and meditated upon her stories. Although most are familliar with her legend as the demon slayer who could not be sated until Shiva intervened, this was not the story foremost in my head. Instead I thought of the Kali who lives in cremation grounds, the mother of compassion and release from suffering, the benevolent goddess who loves all beings perfectly and unconditionally and is their mother in the last moments of their life - giving them the gift of release and peace. And as I created the image, it became a story of transformation: the goddess who walks through all the hells bringing cooling peace, comfort and serenity - the goddess who embodies the transformational power of unconditional love. Her right hand dispels fear even as her left bestows blessings.
Clearly,
Kali was
exactly what I needed. Thank you, MahaKali. Namaste.
No comments:
Post a Comment